Special Transportation Services
Please call us at 402-680-3970 at least 24 Hours in advance for reservations. The bus service is primarily for the use of the senior citizens and handicapped individuals. These people may have an able-bodied person accompany them at no cost. The Special Services Bus is an "on-demand" transportation service subsidized by the State of Nebraska for the elderly and handicapped residents of Papillion. Service area includes residents inside Papillion city limits and Papillion SID's contiguous to the city limits.
Tickets can be purchased in advance at the Recreation Department, or a bus fare can be paid each time the bus is used. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased from the office or from one of the drivers directly.
- Elderly & Persons with Disabilities:
- $1.00 One Way in Town
- $2.00 One Way Out of Town
- Non Elderly & Non Disabled:
- $2.00 One Way in Town
- $4.00 One Way Out of Town
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- 7:45 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. - Medical Appointments in Papillion
- 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. - Medical appointments in Omaha and surrounding towns
- 9:30 a.m. until 10 a.m. - Pick up time for those going to the 55+ Club (Wednesday only)
- 1 p.m. until 2 p.m. - Return time for going home from the 55+ Club (Wednesday only)
Tuesday & Thursday
- 8 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. - Medical (and other) appointments in Papillion area only
- 8:45 a.m. until 9 a.m. - Morning Shopping: Family Fare, Fareway, Wal-Mart, Kohls, Lowes, Walgreens, Hy-Vee, Shadow Lake, Post Office, Banks and other local shops
- 9:30 a.m. until 10 a.m. - Pick up time for those going to the 55+ Club
- 11 a.m. until 11:15 a.m. - Pick up morning shoppers to return home
- 1 p.m. until 2 p.m. - Return time for going home from the 55+ Club
- 3 p.m. - Return from afternoon shopping
Special Note: These times may vary depending on inclement weather and the number of people riding the bus. Please be ready 15 minutes prior to your scheduled pick up time. For those riders needing round trip services, all appointments must be scheduled no later than 2 p.m. Bus does not run on City Holidays.
Safety is our number one priority. If weather conditions present a threat, Papillion Recreation Department reserves the right to cancel bus services for the day. If Papillion-La Vista Schools cancel classes due to weather, bus services will be canceled. If unsure or if school is on break, please call 402-597-2041 or follow us on Facebook or Twitter. Announcements will be made on both sites.
- Medical appointments take priority when scheduling transportation.
- Permanent transportation to and from work, adult day care facilities or any other permanent transportation arrangement outside Papillion city limits is not allowed. Permanent transportation is defined as regularly scheduled days and times, not related to a medical necessity/appointment.
- Exception: Any medical treatment, such as dialysis, chemotherapy, etc. wherein regular appointments are scheduled is allowed, providing it does not exceed six weeks in duration.
- Trips out of town, in excess of 10 miles one way, measured from the center of the city, is not allowed.
- The city reserves the right to charge full client costs for transportation of individuals who are not elderly, handicapped or other certain circumstances, and provided the transportation does not cause an undue hardship on the current operation of the service.
- It is not the responsibility of the drivers to assist patrons on or off the bus, escort patrons into medical or other buildings or assist with packages. However, the drivers do assist if time allows.
If you have any questions, problems or suggestions on how to make our service better, please call 402-597-2041.